On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 3:32:15 PM UTC-5, tai...@gmx.com wrote:
> On 03/02/2018 10:13 PM, Tim W wrote:
>
> > Everyone knows those issues on this board and its understood.  Point being
> > he asked for present day high end laptop but at the same time I will agree
> > with you that for most basic use models its not so much the processor as it
> > is ram amount but one thing for sure is you can not recommend a PC that one
> > is not a laptop and two has no xen or qubes support i.e talon/powerpc.
> >
> > I think its rather moot talking about intel backdoors when its 100%
> > plausible that countless firmwares are backdoored.
> Considering that the TALOS 2, KGPE-D16, KCMA-D8 and the G505S's
> firmwares are open source and every component such as pci-e addon cards
> that aren't are restricted by the IOMMU - again you give dangerous
> advice and suggest that people focus on some vague theoretical backdoor
> rather than what is a proven fact (that intel machines are owned by
> intel, not you) and thus tell them they shouldn't even bother with security.
>
> I mean by those standards why use qubes at all? it probably has
> backdoors from all the worlds governments so you might as well just use
> windows 10!
> > Its been mentioned numerous times by Joanna Marek and others that at some
> > point at this current point in consumer computing ayou must accept trust.
> > Whatever that point is may be different for different people but unless you
> > are going to make a computer from silicon up and every line of code to
> > include a compiler etc you must trust at some level.  Thus the whole idea
> > of picking and choosing which of the possible violation is unacceptable is
> > rather moot
> So what you are saying is that because someone could have theoretically
> slipped some super clever backdoor in to an open source firmware it
> doesn't matter at all and why not just get a closed source firmware
> laptop with ME?
>
> That is not at all what they are saying.
>
> What exactly are your professional qualifications on this matter? Do you
> own at least one computer with open source firmware? If you are so
> concerned with your privacy why do you use gmail?

Wownfine I give up h you ha e read so much into my commemts that I never
intnnded whatever.  Tell the guy that wants a high end laptop to buy a power pc
or a talonto run qubes ofc it.  Or to use those ausu boards as that will make
angreat laptop.     Since every piiece of hardware you use om those syztems is
100% opensource I guess that includes the harddrive firmware w.  As this op
wants a laptop though please name a single open that meets the standards you
speak of with no close sourced  firmware and drivers.  Becuase no LE agencies
in the USA ha e ever used backdoor firmware on hardrives.

Actually do not bother as I am done distruptiong this ops threads with such off
topic drivel.

There are plenty of choices for high end laptops that have been suggested or
can be found on the compatbility list.