On Sun, March 4, 2018 5:34 am, Tim W wrote:
> On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 6:33:27 AM UTC-5, awokd wrote:

>> Buying items through Tor means using your real identity through Tor.
>> Some
>> people use Tor for everything including banking. Some use Tor for all
>> browsing except anything involving their real identity. Others just use
>>  Tor occasionally for some sites. Try searching tor-users mailing list
>> for questions similar to yours; you'll need to develop your own answer.
>
> That is how 99.9% of those caught using tor are found.  Its from bad
> opsec not actually breaking of tor itself.    Tech even the way silk road
> was brought down was via a spoof more than 100% of breaking tor.  but
> like anything layers.  Whats great about qubes is it helps in numerous
> ways from being resistant to the spread of malware its easy integration
> oh whonix.  It ability to string numerous network tunneling chains
> together to creating multiple layers if done correctly have the effect of
> indecent cells working to a common goal with only the end user knowing
> all parts.  Qubes is but one part but its configuration allows for
> numerous ways and layer for security and or if done with proper opsec
> anonymity

Agree with what you say except I want to redefine "caught" to "security
failure". In the case of someone using Tor in conjunction with their real
identity, for example, they aren't worried about the site or any third
party trackers knowing WHO they are during that particular session. Their
primary concern (aka a security failure for them) might be revealing their
location by their real IP (or in the third party trackers case,
link-ability across sessions/other sites by super cookies etc.). The trade
off, though, is their traffic may get routed through network path that is
less trusted than user -> ISP -> ISP -> site; would be user -> Tor ->
random exit node -> random exit node's ISP -> ISP -> site. That's why
there is no comprehensive, simple answer on the "right" way to use Tor. It
varies by what you are trying to accomplish. See
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#WhatProtectionsDoesTorProvide
, or https://www.torproject.org/docs/documentation.html.en for more
details and support options.