On 03/22/2018 04:22 PM, cooloutac wrote:
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 12:59:40 PM UTC-4, Linus Stridbeck wrote:
Hi, I have the opportunity to by a computer (HP EliteBook) that have space for
two hardrives one SSD and one Sata M.2 SSD 2242.

I would like to run Windows on the SSD and Qubes on the Sata M.2 SSD 2242

 From what I have read it is possible all it takes is some modifications in
bios.
But is it advisable from a security point of viwe? I know its a bad ider to boot from one singel hardrive but in this case i guese the Windows hard drive is completely disconnected when runing qubes on the Sata drive?

No its not advisable because windows if compromised can  undermine the qubes
/boot partition which is not encrypted.

And even if you are disconnecting drives,  its much easier to flash firmware
from windows then in qubes,  which would also then undermine qubes when you
connect its drive and run it.

Just don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I have two systems, both with windows on 1 HD , Qubes on the other, 3.2 seems to be UEFI , 4.0 only seems do-able with Legacy.

It seems a bit far fetched that remotely someone is going to boot up my windows drive and reflash my Bios , though nothing is impossible these days, but as some say, if that is your adversary's skill set, than you may have bigger problems :)

I don't like having to keep windows around, but Qubes being what it is, there is something to be said for having a backup OS IMO ; and I don't think I'm going to want to learn gnucash and there being no win tools (not that I ever got that stable in 3.2) in 4.0 .....

Perhaps I one keeps their windows use to a minimum and offline, one might less worried about /boot ?