On 04/11/2018 03:14 AM, Drew White wrote:

> On Wednesday, 11 April 2018 16:55:48 UTC+10, tai...@gmx.com  wrote:
>> What you ask for is impossible, it simply isn't made - no one has a
>> laptop with 64GB RAM and 12 threads let alone one that is old enough to
>> not have UEFI.
> I know that they exist, and I would have one if I had enough money. But they
> do exist. As for UEFI (Microsofts shit invention) if I can disable it or else
> just replace it with an actual REAL BIOS, then I will.
You can't do that unless the computer supports coreboot and the new
stuff doesn't.
>> The best you will get is a W520 or W530 where you can install coreboot
>> (open hw init + nerfed ME) and have 32GB RAM.
> Can the CPU be upgraded in those though?
Yeah its socketed.

I suggest buying a W520 and installing the best ivybridge CPU you can,
then you get the better non-chiclet keyboard and it is also better
supported in coreboot the port for the W530 was never upstreamed.
>> Purism is not libre - their "open source firmware" has hardware
>> initiation done entirely via binary blobs and their ME is certainly not
>> disabled as the kernel still runs along with any hypothetical backdoor.
>> Their marketing is incredibly dishonest and I simply don't understand
>> why they get so much air time.
> lol, then the only way I can get around it is to disable it myself by editing
> the CPU firmware? Or is there something else that controls that? (I'll have
> to look into it.)
Disabling ME/PSP is impossible, it simply can't be done without
intervention from intel/amd.
The puridiots claim they will eventually be able to convince intel to do
it because some sales guy at a convention said so (they will say
whatever to get you to buy stuff) - however google tried a few years
back and even them as a billion dollar company wasn't able to convince
intel to do it.

ME cleaner nerfs it even with the hap bit it isn't disabled because the
kernel still runs it simply shuts off after the kernel runs but that is
more than enough time to set up any potential backdoor and perform a
variety of dirty tricks.

NSA/MSS/FSB says: "oh no they removed the networking module what will we
do now D: D: D:"
> If their information is wrong, then I'll report them for false advertising.
> Thanks for letting me know.
I don't know who you could report them to but thanks anyway I would like
that very much their marketing is very sleazy and dishonest.
Like I said I simply don't understand why I am the only critical voice,
the tech media frequently publishes glorified press releases for them
with absolutely no criticism or real facts about how their computers are
not and can't ever have free firmware or free hardware...

https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/onpon4/m/what-purism-s-road-to-fsf-ryf-endorsement-chart-should-look-like/
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3anjgm/on_the_librem_laptop_purism_doesnt_believe_in/
https://web.archive.org/web/20161010040458/https://blogs.coreboot.org/blog/2015/02/23/the-truth-about-purism-why-librem-is-not-the-same-as-libre/
https://web.archive.org/web/20161010100959/https://blogs.coreboot.org/blog/2015/08/09/the-truth-about-purism-behind-the-coreboot-scenes/
(Gotta love their insulting of their honest competitors and donating to
their own crowdfunding campaign)