On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 4:49:27 PM UTC-8, dexint...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been spending hours and hours looking at laptop configs from dell to
> lenovo and I still have yet to make a decision. I'm hoping you guys can help
> me.
>
> Uses:
>
> - Programming
> - Web Dev
> - Tor
> - Screen real estate
> - Regular web surfing and videos
> - Some video and photo editing but I have a PC for that
>
> I'd like to keep cost as low as possible but my budget is very flexible if I
> need to stretch it. I want something that will last me 3-5 years.

https://system76.com/laptops/galago one of the few that you can get with 4 real
cores instead of just 2 with hyper threading. at least as of a few months ago
when i got a few for work. the 4 core thing is important because those
speculative execution blunders mean you cant use HT anymore.

using the 1080p version with a 4k display. they also have a hidpi version, but
the screens only 13". may or may not fit your need for screen estate.

everything works and its great up until you want to watch youtube full screen
at 4k. then it starts getting choppy. blender is fluid, for at least the small
scenes ive done. so, video editing shouldnt be a problem. just remember to give
your editing appvm lots of ram, and all the cores.

if your photo editing for print, you might need to keep that pc. you could try
the plasma (kde) desktop and see if it can take an icc profile. never tried it.