On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 12:19:04 AM UTC-8, pixel fairy wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 4:49:27 PM UTC-8, dexint...@gmail.com
> wrote:
> > I've been spending hours and hours looking at laptop configs from dell to
> > lenovo and I still have yet to make a decision. I'm hoping you guys can
> > help me.
> >
> > Uses:
> >
> > - Programming
> > - Web Dev
> > - Tor
> > - Screen real estate
> > - Regular web surfing and videos
> > - Some video and photo editing but I have a PC for that
> >
> > I'd like to keep cost as low as possible but my budget is very flexible if
> > I need to stretch it. I want something that will last me 3-5 years.
>
> https://system76.com/laptops/galago one of the few that you can get with 4
> real cores instead of just 2 with hyper threading. at least as of a few
> months ago when i got a few for work. the 4 core thing is important because
> those speculative execution blunders mean you cant use HT anymore.
>
> using the 1080p version with a 4k display. they also have a hidpi version,
> but the screens only 13". may or may not fit your need for screen estate.
>
> everything works and its great up until you want to watch youtube full screen
> at 4k. then it starts getting choppy. blender is fluid, for at least the
> small scenes ive done. so, video editing shouldnt be a problem. just remember
> to give your editing appvm lots of ram, and all the cores.
>
> if your photo editing for print, you might need to keep that pc. you could
> try the plasma (kde) desktop and see if it can take an icc profile. never
> tried it.

forgot to mention, you will need to tweak your netvm. when you first install,
it wont be able to start sys-net. go into sys-nets settings/devices and remove
the ethernet controller. then click on "Configure strict reset for PCI
devices", the big button at the bottom of that tab.

dont know why, but you can make another netvm for sys-ethernet, but keeping
both interfaces in the same netvm doesnt seem to work.

also tried a purism librem 13. the laptop itself was broken, but dont remember
any compatibility issues with it. couldnt test the mic, as that was one of the
broken parts.