On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 11:44:51 AM UTC-5, 799 wrote:
> <nosugar...@gmail.com> schrieb am Sa., 23. Feb. 2019, 14:35:
> > Not quite sure why people try use Qubes with laptops. I found far better
> > performance on desktops. Laptops are the opposite of flexible. PC's you can
> > upgrade to your hearts content.

I disagree that laptops aren't flexible.

E.g.

A 2011(!)-era Thinkpad W520 can be upgraded to 32GB of RAM and 16.4TB of SSD (2
x 7.68TB 2.5" SSD; 1 x 1TB mSATA SSD). 17.4TB SSD if you don't need all your
drives to support a standard hardware FDE and don't mind cracking open one of
Samsung's portable drives to extract the 2TB mSATA board.

Newer higher-end Thinkpad models can do 64B or 128GB of RAM, have 6 core
options (12 threads possible, but we turn off HT for now) and support internal
4K displays...but due to the switch M.2 being primary storage with some support
for 0 or 1 2.5" SSDs, they are currently limited to 4TB SSD of storage (or
11.5TB if they support 1 2.5" SSD). Faster though...and lighter than older
models.

> Maybe because for 90% a laptop offers enough performance, has much lower
> space & power requirement and can be used flexible?

Agreed. I have performed installs on the x230 and x230 tablet and they are
quite usable with 16GB of RAM after a little bit of tweaking. Chris Laprise has
posted handy default memory tuning advice on this mailing list for constrained
memory systems.