On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 05:35:20 -0800 (PST)
nosugarmaxta...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Thursday, 21 February 2019 11:49:27 UTC+11, dexint...@gmail.com  wrote:
>> I've been spending hours and hours looking at laptop configs from dell to
>> lenovo and I still have yet to make a decision. I'm hoping you guys can help
>> me.
>>
>> Uses:
>>
>> - Programming
>> - Web Dev
>> - Tor
>> - Screen real estate
>> - Regular web surfing and videos
>> - Some video and photo editing but I have a PC for that
>>
>> I'd like to keep cost as low as possible but my budget is very flexible if I
>> need to stretch it. I want something that will last me 3-5 years.
>
>Not quite sure why people try use Qubes with laptops. I found far better
>performance on desktops. Laptops are the opposite of flexible. PC's you can
>upgrade to your hearts content.

My use case on my laptop is this...

I consult in the business world, and have a rather large presence in the e-mail
world.  I use Qubes because it separates...

1) programs from data with template VM's
2) tasks with discrete VM's based on purpose...e-mail, business records,
servicing a particular client, password manager, general browsing etc...

Prior to Qubes, I would use snapshot kept VirtualBox vms with a non-snapshot
kept virtual disk for data and revert to snapshot with each VM shutdown with
multiple VM's for various purposes.  I would periodically start the VM's, do
software updates and retake my snapshot...essentially emulating a template
based VM.

When I found Qubes, I found an entire OS designed around that very concept and
more...so it was a logical fit to my laptop.  Add a coreboot/ME-disabled system
and security is manifestly enhanced, which is good for my business.  While I
don't intentionally keep client data around for long, the fact that I have to
handle it from time to time makes keeping it separate and secure paramount.

Stuart