Frédéric Pierret:

On 2019-12-02 01:01, Andrew David Wong wrote:

On 2019-11-28 1:16 AM, Claudia wrote:
Andrew David Wong:
Please note that no user action is required regarding the OS
version in dom0. For details, please see our Note on dom0 and
EOL. [6] [6]
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/supported-versions/#note-on-dom0-and-eol
Is it *possible* to upgrade dom0 to, say, F30, if we wanted to? I
seem to remember reading somewhere it's pretty much impossible, but
I haven't been able to find that article.

Not as far as I know, but Marek and Frédéric (CCed) would know more
about this.

Even if in theory, this is possible but that would mean to patch R4.0
with a lot of adjustments in upstream R4.1. I would discourage such
attempt because there is major differences between fc25 and fc30. That
would also mean doing the work we have done for going to dom0 fc29.

We are going to use dom0 fc31 instead of fc29 for next release 4.1 and
there is also other troubles like python3 migration as python2 is
assumed deprecated in Fedora 31.

I have a newer machine, and I've found several hardware features
that work under F30 but not F25 and not under Qubes even with the
same kernel version as tested in F30 (suggesting the Fedora
userland plays a role too).

It seems like the 5+ version lag could be holding back a lot of
potential Qubes users. Especially considering Qubes/Xen is quite
hardware-sensitive to begin with.

It sounds like your best bet might be to try R4.1, which will run
Fedora 29: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4225

Thanks for the responses. That's pretty much what I was expecting to hear. I did install 4.1 on this machine at one point, but after installation it would hang at the boot splash, so I couldn't test if the hardware worked. Incidentally, I ran into that same issue when I install 4.0.2 and was able to fix it, so I may be able to get 4.1 running this time around. (In case you're interested: https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes-users@googlegroups.com/msg31199.html)

Is there an ETA on the F31-based 4.1 build, or is it still going to be a while? Is there a specific build or milestone or something should I be watching for? (I plan on getting the iso from openqa)