Thanks Thierry,

Thanks for the detailed explanation and thanks for the work you have chosen to
do. Thanks even more for upstreaming as much as you already have so that others
can benefit too.

I want too add a couple of points that I hope are supportative, but let me
start with an analogy.

When I was an impoverished student I used to fix my own car when it went wrong:
serious problems too, stripping down the engine at one point. I never enjoyed
it, and as soon as I was earning I gave that work to the local mechanic even
though I knew how to do it.

If someone wants the most secure laptop available on a turnkey basis then they
would buy from you. Maybe they are not expert enough to know all the pitfalls
you mention; but even if they do know enough they may make the same choice I
made over car maintenance. They have things to do with their time that they
prefer to be doing rather than doing IT stuff. AND they can afford to do so.

There are two sorts of people her who will want to do the work for themselves.

There are those of us who enjoy the process and want to actually work through
the choices for ourselves as the best way to fully understand our own kit.

And there are also those of us who need to watch every penny, so will do the
best we can for ourselves within a budget that makes a 230 affordable at second
hand prices but not at refurb prices.

Actually I'm in both those groups when it comes to IT, and my security needs
are not so pressing as to need to pay the security premium that your product
offers. And I enjoy tinkering with software more than I ever enjoyed lying
under a car in the road when it was snowing.

So you have my sincere thanks for the info you do share (both through the open
source channels and through posts like this one). And if a friend asks me to
install a secure OS for them I will send them to you rather than take on a
lifetime commitment to give them free support.

Equally, from where I am at the moment I would actually prefer to buy the
second hand laptop and work through the process myself. But please don't ever
think that that means I disrespect what you are doing, or that I have any
problem with your pricing policies. You've made this your work and you are
totally entitled to make a living out of it. At the end of the day I'm a
hobbyist.

And it's not just free beer: I pay back when I can, not with currency, but in
giving advice here when I see other ppl who are struggling with what I already
solved, by making bug reports, and I've even edited the Qubes docs on a couple
of occasions. For me free as in speech is a two way process: I come to ask
questions here, but when I come I always find myself answering questions as
well.

So much kudos to you for your choice of making your livelihood, and for
facilitating hobbyists and those on low budgets by sharing info as well.

Have a great year Thierry

River~~