On 1/1/20 5:43 AM, Lorenzo Lamas wrote:
Hello Thierry,

Thanks for all that you are doing for the community. Do you see a possibility of a Qubes Certified Laptop with an AMD CPU? Intel is affected a lot more than AMD by the sidechannel vulnerabilities in the last years. The Privacy Beast has a 3rd gen Intel CPU, Intel stopped providing uCode updates for 1st gen in 2019, so this year is probably the last year they will support 3rd gen. More CPU vulnerabilities will most certainly be discovered in the coming years, so there is a need for an AMD based certified laptop, or at least a newer generation Intel based laptop, even though that may mean we're stuck with PSP or ME.

As much as I like the Insurgo/Purism/System76 offerings, this issue has weighed on me to reconsider.

The massive amount of side-channel vulnerabilities have shown Intel's engineering is reckless, and it gets worse. They're still pushing fraudulent compiler code – detecting and de-optimizing AMD – almost a decade after it was reported in the press. And they outright refuse to pay government fines relating to their misconduct – which also included threatening PC vendors with retaliation if they sell "too many" AMD units.

Historically, when a behemoth like Intel goes renegade its because they know their products are superior and the public will accept the situation as a trade-off. But the only thing that's "superior" about Intel is their attitude and their ill-gotten revenue.

The biggest problem I see is peoples' willingness to go along with what is becoming a tradition of anti-competition. Whatever logical fallacies are put forward to make it seem palatable with CPUs will also undermine user motivations in other areas.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket