On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 10:52:32AM -0400, Stumpy wrote:
> On 2020-05-11 10:26, 'Ryan Tate' via qubes-users wrote:
> > Saw the new f31 templateVM (thanks for that) and just curious how folks
> > generally migrate to a new templateVM.
> >
> > I manually maintain this big text list of packages and just use that to
> > manually update the fresh templateVM to what I need. There's typically
> > also some non package installs, which I include basic pointers for
> > (think downloaded rpms and so forth), as well as some outside repos to
> > add (e.g. keybase). There's also typically some packages I forgot to put
> > on the list, which I can usually suss out by going through the bash
> > history for the old template, although often there's one or two that
> > slip through the cracks, which I find out about eventually and it's not
> > a huge deal.
> >
> > I'm particularly curious if anyone does anything more sophisticated than
> > that, using salt or some other automated deploy system to prep new
> > template images.
> >
> > Thanks for any tips!
> >

> Ditto, would really be interested as well, I have a similar system but i am
> sure there are better ways to do it.

Salt it - if you get used to using salt, it's simple to use.
If you want to install a package, don't open the template and install it
there, edit the install.sls file to include the package, and run
`qubesctl --skip-dom0 --targets=<template>  state.apply install`

That *should* install the package, and you have a record of what you've
done. So our "big text file" becomes functional.
You can also leverage salt to apply the same packages to Debian and
Fedora templates - where names differ, you can apply packages by
checking OS.
And, of course, you can add/edit sources.files, insert gpg keys, copy in
rpms/source, and your salt files will be a record of what you want.

On a new system, or a new template, all you have to do is run the
`install` state targeting the template(s) you want.
Really, a great system, and I suspect sadly under used.

I have full systems set up in salt to customise a new install as I want,
with new templates and different setups. Sometimes it can be a bit
shaky, and you *have* to check the logs, but it's great to run the full
state, have a coffee, and come back to a fully configured system.
For travel, I have a minimum state I can download and apply, to get a
workable system with gpg, vpn, ssh set up out of the box. So cool.

unman