On Sunday, 7 June 2020 15:25:02 UTC+1, haaber wrote:

> On 6/7/20 1:04 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> >

> > On Sunday, 7 June 2020 07:12:23 UTC+1, haaber wrote:
> >
> >     they will be inserted in the appvm-qube as /dev/xvdi, /dev/xvdk ...
> >     [vd = virtual device, I guess]. The existence of a device does not
> mean
> >     mounting it. I do that by hand: in a terminal, type
> >
> >          sudo mount /dev/xvdi /media
> >
> >     will mount the attached device to /media and allow file access. If
> >     it is
> >     a luks-encrypted system, do
> >
> >          sudo crypsetup luksOpen  /dev/xvdi  MYSSDVOL
> >          sudo mount  /dev/mapper/MYSSDVOL    /media
> >
> >          cheers
> >

> > Many thanks for that, works exactly as described!  Seems a bit strange
> > that the partition isn't mounted at the time it was attached (not sure
> > why you'd want to attach it if you didn't plan to read or write to
> > it?).   Anyways...
>
> like any device that lurks in your machine(say a WIN partition. Unless
> you ask for mounting in fstab it won't be done.
>
> > Is there any way the attachment and mounting can be made permanent?
> no clue. never tried that.
>
> > Next challenge - access files on another Linux laptop on the same
> network!
>
> use scp to copy individual files  and use
>
> rsync -auv --rsh=ssh user@anotherlinuxmachine:path/  new-qubes-path/
>
> is your friend to mass-copy data.

Thanks for that - useful to know but not exactly what I need right now.  I
want to be able to access a folder on another Linux laptop on the same
network (like I can access another disk in the same laptop).  I currently
do this (in Linux Mint) using Samba.  I'll give that a try in Qubes and if
I get problems I probably ought to start a new  thread (I got into trouble
before when I raised a new topic in a thread...).