On Sun, Jun 07, 2020 at 04:04:25AM -0700, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Sunday, 7 June 2020 07:12:23 UTC+1, haaber wrote:
> >
> > On 6/6/20 6:33 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > >
> > >         If you use qvm-block in dom0 can you see the disk/partitions?
> > >

> > >           Don't know, I'll give it a try and post back.
> > >

> > > OK, if I click on the  Devices widget I can indeed see all the
> > > partitions on my internal SSD, with an arrow next to each.  If I click
> > > the arrow I get a list of qubes, which I believe allows me to attach the
> > > selected partition to where I want.  However, when I do this I can't
> > > find the partition in the Files application in the qube.  Think I'm
> > > still missing something...  Also, am I correct that this attachment will
> > > only persist until I close the qube?
> >
> > they will be inserted in the appvm-qube as /dev/xvdi, /dev/xvdk ...
> > [vd = virtual device, I guess]. The existence of a device does not mean
> > mounting it. I do that by hand: in a terminal, type
> >
> >     sudo mount /dev/xvdi /media
> >
> > will mount the attached device to /media and allow file access. If it is
> > a luks-encrypted system, do
> >
> >     sudo crypsetup luksOpen  /dev/xvdi  MYSSDVOL
> >     sudo mount  /dev/mapper/MYSSDVOL    /media
> >
> >     cheers
> >

> Many thanks for that, works exactly as described!  Seems a bit strange that
> the partition isn't mounted at the time it was attached (not sure why you'd
> want to attach it if you didn't plan to read or write to it?).   Anyways...

You may want to read/write *without* mounting - for example, when using
dd to write a disk image.

> Is there any way the attachment and mounting can be made permanent?

`man` is your friend - specifically `man qvm-block`.
You will see that there is indeed a `--persistent` option.

Mounting could be a simple (and standard) entry in /etc/fstab - nothing Qubes
specific here. Or simply a call to `mount`.
Make sure that you use a good identifier - /dev/xvdi may or may not work
- a label or UUID would be much better.
Again `man fstab` and `man mount` will help.

The Qubes specific part will be to make sure that any changes you  make
to /etc/fstab are persistent - you could do this using bind-dirs or by
an entry in /rw/config/rc.local