On 8/11/22 11:38, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
3. Does HVM sys-gui-gpu work?  What about PV (not PVH!) sys-gui-gpu?
I don't have a sys-gui-gpu at the moment, but will test that. This page
(https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/guivm-configuration/) is still the most
relevant/recent description, right?
I think so?  I don’t use sys-gui-gpu myself, and I will admit that there
are quite a few bugs when using it.  Still, if it works, then the
possible parts of the code that could be to blame is much lower. If
sys-gui-gpu in PV mode works, then the problem is almost certainly the
userspace drivers (Mesa).  If sys-gui-gpu in HVM mode works, but it
fails in PV mode, then the problem is likely in the way i915 and Xen
interact.

I have tested this now. When I boot, the problem remains. Opening the Qube
Manager shows that the sys-gui-gpu qube is not running. I tried starting it
from the manager,
and it led to immediate black screen, requiring a hard shutdown. The logs
for that qube are here:
dom0 will kernel panic if the GPU is removed from it while in use.  I
recommend preventing the i915 kernel module from being loaded in dom0
via the dom0 kernel command line.

I've tried some variants now. Disabling i915 (by moving the driver flie) doesn't do much. It boots up as usual, same problems, and if I try to boot the sys-gui-gpu qube, it blackscreens and requires hard shutdown.

/Martin