David Woolley wrote:

> My argument is that these aren't or shouldn't be important for servers.

My ( and other posters ) opinion is that this is no longer the case.

The trusty server chugging along at constant speed never getting  cold
never getting up a heat is a beast of the past, extinct when the
currently running oned ( already well aged ) do their last shutdown.

>> The current trend seems to be dedicated boxes
>> or myriads of "VM-boxes" on a mainframe which depends heavily
>> on a VM-box being suspended when it is idle.
>

> That only requires the 1970s (or earlier) HLT technology and
> multi-tasking friendly applications; generally Unix applications are
> friendly but some Windows applications, particularly from five or more
> years ago, aren't (although they tend to be desk top ones).

The "Collocation Dedicacted Server" and VM people are very adamant about
stopping VMs or taking a "real" machine as far as possible into powerdown
when the payload app is idle.

ntp is not an app but infrastructure in this context.

> Also, as I understand it, enterprise (i.e. expensive) virtualisation
> software can move running guests between hosts, so, whilst that would be
Yes , XEN forex provides "seamless" migration across a network of hosts
( though there is not much connection to expensive, most Linux Distributions
   provide packages to run VM hosts/guests )

> rather bad for timing critical applications, one imagines the best power
> management strategy is to concentrate the active systems on a few hosts
> and completely power down any others.
RealTime and migration don't seem to be made for mariage, or?

uwe