David Woolley wrote:
> Evandro Menezes wrote:
>

>> And, please, don't consider the power used by NTP itself, but rather
>> the power used by the CPU idling in a higher power state than before
>> NTP woke it up.  Modern processors can draw 100W without doing
>> anything useful, but it falls down to less than 10W it it's allowed
>> run the HALT instruction instead when there's nothing to do.
>

> HLT instructions are a complete red herring here. They've been available
Modern CPUs, chipsets and OSes have a wide range of features to manage
power _and_ these are heavily used on any platform, be it PDA, Laptop, embedded
device .. or Numbercrunching Cluster.

> But you've already told us that you get a 90% power saving before you go
> to the deep state.  In my view, a server that is running at a
> sufficiently low CPU load that going deeper that HLT is useful is badly
> over-dimensioned.
The current trend seems to be dedicated boxes
or myriads of "VM-boxes" on a mainframe which depends heavily
on a VM-box being suspended when it is idle.
I haven't looked into how the VM people handle timekeeping though.

> If high load depends on time of day, you will have to dimension air
> conditioning for peak loading (which means times when you will never go
> efficiency costs.
I am not into collocation management, but:
My guess is that the required power and AC scaling is similar to
what you get in telephone exchange scaling ( i.e. it evens out rather fast
across all boxes.
Primary issue is simultaneous PowerUp for a complete site. ( You fix that via
staging )

> Tactics for smoothing the load and achieving high productive utilisation
> where common when capital cost was the main issue.
Cost distribution has changed. boxes are cheap, manpower not, energy costs are
rising fast.

uwe