On May 16, 6:44 pm, "David L. Mills" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> With respect, you miss the point. The ntpd does not require a tickle
> every second just to scan for polls; it requires that tickle in order to
> discipline the clcok frequency. The additional cycles necessary to link
> to the next association structure, then increment and test a variable,
> are way, way down in the noise.

I don't pretend to know NTP innards, but wouldn't it be possible to
select the scale of updates?

And, please, don't consider the power used by NTP itself, but rather
the power used by the CPU idling in a higher power state than before
NTP woke it up.  Modern processors can draw 100W without doing
anything useful, but it falls down to less than 10W it it's allowed
run the HALT instruction instead when there's nothing to do.

The picture that Red Hat refers to is that the CPU is removed from a
deep C-state in order to run NTP for microseconds and then it remains
in the running state for a few fractions of a second until it goes
back to a deep C-state.  So it's not a matter of NTP's duty cycle, but
the duty cycle resulting from the heuristics used by the hardware or
the OS to decide when to place the CPU in a deep C-state.

HTH