On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 22:07:56 GMT, ddun...@taos.com (Darren Dunham)
wrote:

>George R. Kasica <geor...@netwrx1.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 21:21:33 +0000, David Woolley
>> <da...@ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>>>No.  Assuming VMWare, you fix the host machine with NTP, then use VMWare
>>>tools, with the right options, to control the time on the guest.  Note
>>>that, even then, there will be a large amount of jitter in the software
>>>clock time on the guest, as time is virtualised.
>>
>> WE run over 150 VMs under unix/linux where I work and about 20 ESX
>> servers (its actually my day job) so I might be able to help you.
>>
>> 1) Turn off ntpd on the VM TURN OFF NTPD. You don't want it running.
>> But make sure the ntp.conf is valid you will need it.
>
>While I agree, it appears that some VMware documents either encourage or
>at least suggest equivalence of using NTP or vmware tools.
>
><http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006427>
><http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf>
>
>One of the groups I work with will soon be running several linux VM
>hosts with ntp enabled based on these documents.

I've seen (and tried those) and spent many hours with vmware
engineering on trying to get it to work without any good reliable
success.

I'm not sure what they ran on or how much real load was on the VMs but
it you do anything with them that taxes the boxes the timing goes out
the window badly to the point LDAP fails among other things due to the
time offsets between the various boxes.

One note to mention and I'll add it to the web wiki shortly is that
you need  to modify your /boot/grub/grub.conf kernel lines to include

clock=pit

at the end for what we've got working here.

George

--
===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX