>>> In article <xns9c6a7cad22a5cpqwer...@69.16.185.247>, "nemo_outis"
>>> <a...@xyz.com> writes:

nemo> I have the book and I've read it.  And although I am a mechanical
nemo> engineer, not electrical, I have a solid background in control theory
nemo> and I do understand the math.

That's good.

nemo> The justification for 500 ppm in "Das Buch" is very thin gruel and
nemo> amounts to litle more than "argument by repeated assertion."

Could be, and I suspect (but do not know for sure) that there is more
detailed information in some of the white papers at DLM's website at UDel.

I'm sure some folks would appreciate whoever could either debunk these
claims or clearly/cleanly show why they are correct, and also what would
need to be done if one were to change this value.

nemo>  In fact, the book itself discusses a 1997 survey (section 6.6) that
nemo> shows time offsets of hundreds of milliseconds, so far from being
nemo> unusual, are common. This (inter alia) makes the book's light regard
nemo> for large offsets seem more than a little cavalier.

You are missing the point.  it's not about *time* offsets, it's about
*frequency* offsets.

nemo> PS I too only use the software to synchronize my clocks.  However,
nemo> while I am grateful for the years of effort that ntp reflects, I am
nemo> not blind to its warts.  And while the opinions of a strong
nemo> personality may have driven the creation of ntp, it seems those same
nemo> rigidly-held opinions may now be restricting its further growth and
nemo> development.

In my experience Prof. Mills is (sometimes eventually) open to new ideas,
but since he is so *thoroughly* steeped (both in depth and in breadth) in
this arena and since he has been down so many of these roads with so many
people so many times before, his usual response is along the lines of "Been
there, done that, wore out the t-shirt, but if you really think I'm wrong
please code it up, run it thru rigorous and encompassing analysis and
simulation, and if at the end of all of that you still have something we can
talk."
--
Harlan Stenn <st...@ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!