"David J Taylor" <david-tay...@blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid>
writes:

>"Harlan Stenn" <st...@ntp.org> wrote in message

>> David> Indeed - to push us back on track a little, here's a graph of the
>> David> drift values from a few hundred machines:
>>
>> David> http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/time/drifts.png
>>
>> Harlan> Again, drift values are about the clock's *time*, and the 500ppm
>> Harlan> slew limit is about the clock's *frequency*.
>>
>> I was, of course, insane when I wrote that.  I misread and thought that
>> offsets were being plotted, not drift file values (which are, indeed,
>> the
>> ppm frequency offsets).
>>
>> --
>> Harlan Stenn <st...@ntp.org>
>> http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!

>David's graph changed my view - from "is 500ppm too small?" to "500ppm is
>not an unreasonable value".  My thanks to all who have contributed.

Of course my 9 machines with drift rates up to -250. It will depend crucially
on which kernel David is running on his linux machines. I suspect is is older (
one tends not to keep clusters up to date). I used to have distributions like
his. but not for the past two years.

Anyway 50PPM is not unreasonable. It is also probably unnecessary.