nemo_outis wrote:

> A clock with a frequency deviation is NOT, per se, broken.  If the
> deviation, even if it be, say, 5000 ppm, is consistent, stable and
> regular, then the clock could be a superb timekeeper.

Yes of course, but you miss the point (or at least my point). Such a
large deviation can easily be corrected for *before* ntp gets to sync
the clock. Again, the margin into which you should tune your clock rate
is a matter of taste and quite arbitrary.

But since you are pushing it, here's my personal take: I deem it
reasonable to require a clock's frequency error to be in the same
ballpark as (let's say at most one order of magnitude larger than) its
instability. Anything larger should be (and is in fact easily) tuned out
through other means than ntp's clock discipline. 500 is *huge* already.

I'm not versed in the theory enough to make any assertions about how a
large frequency error affects behaviour and performance of the clock
disciplining algorithm, but my gut feeling tells me it's better to have
a small frequency error. If someone who does know these things
convincingly tells me otherwise, I'll gladly adjust my opinion. For the
moment, I trust my gut.