I'm not versed in the theory enough to make any assertions about how a

> large frequency error affects behaviour and performance of the clock
> disciplining algorithm, but my gut feeling tells me it's better to have
> a small frequency error. If someone who does know these things
> convincingly tells me otherwise, I'll gladly adjust my opinion. For the
> moment, I trust my gut.

youre probably not reading carefully.
you dont want what you think you want.

forex:

the TSC on a Geode is very accurate when the chip
is running, but due to a bug, it loses clocks when
the scheduler takes the processor idle.

Despite its "accuracy/precision/insert-your-favorite-virtue"
its completely unsuitable for timekeeping.
an inaccurate, but consistently correctable clock is.