According to this page:

http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.2p4/ntpd.html
If one were to use start ntpd with -x,
-----------
-x
Normally, the time is slewed if the offset is less than the step threshold,
which is 128 ms by default, and stepped if above the threshold. This option
sets the threshold to 600 s, which is well within the accuracy window to set
the clock manually. Note: Since the slew rate of typical Unix kernels is
limited to 0.5 ms/s, each second of adjustment requires an amortization
interval of 2000 s. Thus, an adjustment as much as 600 s will take almost 14
days to complete. This option can be used with the -g and -q options. See the
tinker command for other options. Note: The kernel time discipline is disabled
with this option.

------------

Is this more or less true, i.e., the correction can take up to 2000 seconds for
every one second? Is there any way one could speed it up without resorting to
step adjustment? I would prefer not to use the tinker command because of all
the caveats mentioned about its use.
Also, is it possible to find the current slew rate? I'm using Linux kernels
2.6.19 and 2.6.24.
The reason I'm asking is I have a program which tries to use slew adjustment to
correct time. I need to know how long the adjustment will take and I was
wondering if I could simply take the current time difference and multiply it by
2000 for every second in difference (and perhaps add an extra buffer amount) in
order to get an idea.
Thanks,
jobin