New problem:

NTP wouldn't start automatically. The system event log shows that NTP
service was started repeatedly (I configured it so it restarts after
initial failure) but it shuts down itself (message: NTP service is
stopping with no message wrt why). It would stop if I start it
manually. However, it will run if I open the serial port with
Hyperterminal and the close it without doing anything else).  I am
very puzzled.

jack