unruh wrote:
> On 2009-12-04, Dave Baxter <s...@goes.nowhere.com> wrote:
>> In article <yqprm.11377$ym4.1...@text.news.virginmedia.com>,
>> david-tay...@blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid says...
>> Your sumizing above, is exactly what I'd like to do, idealy all on one
>> physical box if posible.  But as elsewhere, I'm not haveing much success
>> stitching it all together on a box of its own at present.   The latest
>> being that the 'Reg' command, usd by Dave Hart's serialpps install batch
>> file, does not exist on Win2k!  (XP and later only I think.)  Oh well.
>
> Please, do not use a Windows box as your main server. get a cheap ( your
> local flea market should have one for $50) computer, install linux or
> freebsd, purely for running ntp on it, and use it as your server.

Elderly computers can frequently be found at curbside.  Often, there is
nothing wrong with them, they are just old and/or slow.  NTP does not
require a lot of computing power!!  If these old wrecks will boot some
form of Windows or Linux they are well suited to not very demanding jobs
like running NTPD.