John Hasler wrote:
> If I tell a client that he should install a used machine and it fails he
> will blame me.  If I tell him to buy a new one and it fails he will
> blame the vendor (or more likely, if I recommend a used machine he will
> buy a new one anyway and then never hire me again since he "knows" that
> no one competent would ever recommend the use of a "banged up pc" for
> anything serious).  The fact that the used machine would work fine is
> irrelevant.

And thus the world spirals to global warming and depletion of natural
resources.

On the other hand, all the organisations I have worked for have a long
winded capital expenditure approval process, so requiring a new machine
can kill or seriously delay a project.  The likelihood is that the
service gets put on a highly loaded existing Windows box, rather than on
a new dedicated and appropriate system.

(Global warming is a complex issue.  I was mainly thinking of
manufacturing carbon costs.  However ntpd works best when most power
management functions are disabled.)