John Hasler <jhas...@newsguy.com> wrote in
news:873a3pvuqr....@thumper.dhh.gt.org:

> Evandro Menezes writes:
>> No engineer or analyst or consultant worth its salt would suggest a
>> banged up PC to perform any role in a project.
>
> Bill Unruh writes:
>> Especially if he were getting a kickback on the purchase
>
> If I tell a client that he should install a used machine and it fails
> he will blame me.  If I tell him to buy a new one and it fails he will
> blame the vendor (or more likely, if I recommend a used machine he
> will buy a new one anyway and then never hire me again since he
> "knows" that no one competent would ever recommend the use of a
> "banged up pc" for anything serious).  The fact that the used machine
> would work fine is irrelevant.

I am a professional engineer with 43 years of experience, 26 of them in
independent consulting practice.

I well understand the engineering concept of "fit for purpose." An
older, less powerful machine may be entirely appropriate for a
particular use (e.g., as an ntp server).

Nor am I so unethical that I give higher priority to covering my ass
than providing diligent advice and service to my clients.

Overkill is bad engineering and bad ethics.

Regards,