It can also be difficult to buy items from suppliers with no existing
relationship.  I.e. it may be easy to buy new computers or supplies, but
difficult to get a GPS receiver from some online shop.
E.g. where I work it is not possible to buy anything from a shop where
creditcard or upfront payment are the only options.

I used to work in a place which /was/ like that. Fortunately, they saw the light, and we subsequently had one chap who could purchase up to GBP 250 (~ US $400) on a credit card. Much time and aggravation was saved by this move. Might be worth suggesting this to your management - perhaps pop it in the suggestions box and earn a reward - if they have a suggestion box, that is!