Well..

It compiled and installed OK now!  :)
[]
Next step, to spark up NTPD and see if that plays.  But that may have to
wait till next week, as I'm away for the weekend now.   I already have a
pre configured GPS RX ready to go however.

Thanks everyone for your time and patience.

Dave B.

Excellent, Dave!

Frustrating that it took so long, but at least there's a logical explanation for the failure. Once you get it running, it will be interesting to compare with and without the kernel more (a one character change in ntp.conf and a restart) and see what the different in performance is.

I'll be distracted for several hours by the motor racing this weekend!