I'm not about this weekend either, so play will recommence sometime next
week.   I'ts synching with a collection of uk.pool servers at the mo,
just for the heck of it.

Yes, that was how I started when getting the box working - it proved that basic NTP and the network were both OK. I actually synced with internal servers first as I hadn't got the gateway IP address configured on the FreeBSD box.

Turns out, it's USB ports wont supply enough
power for even the GPS, unless something else was plugged in first to
wake them up, so I need to modify the cabling to use the (soon to be
redundant) PS2 mouse port for 5V power.

Oh, that's tiresome! I haven't seen that problem, but as it happens on that box the GPS feed is simply a parallel RS-232 feed from a separately powered GPS puck.

I'm quite impressed with the (so far) result, in as much as it's almost
an "appliance" now.  You can power it down cleanly from the front panel
Power button, FreeBSD recognising the request and doing the right thing
all by itself.  Likewise, it'll boot and NTP run's just fine with no
"user" input needed.

Off to play 4x4 stuff now.

Cheers.

Dave B.

Oh, that's quite nice. I've not really tested that - I recall the power button really does kill the power, but next time I need to add a display to that box I can check. It's very handy that the board powers up with no mouse, keyboard or display attached.

Enjoy your weekend!