Rob wrote:
Terje Mathisen<"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no">  wrote:
Kalle Pokki wrote:
 From my experience, hardware or well designed and tested software
going crazy (i.e. outputting completely invalid data) without any
safeguards noticing it usually requires quite bizarre double failures
in the system at the same time. Thinking this I sometimes wonder the

I have personally seen three different NTP-GPS "black box" units, from
two different vendors, go "crazy", i.e. becoming falsetickers, with no
indication at all of any error condition. :-(

In one of the cases, the unit claimed the year to be 2035 or similar.

Apparently their firmware is crap.

But have you also seen this with bare GPS receivers?
Wrong time but indication of lock to GPS (2D or 3D).

No.

As i wrote in another msg, my primary NTP servers are all homebrew: 1U x86 server with RS232 port, FreeBSD with "option PPS_SYNC" custom kernel, Motorola Oncore UT+ T-RAIM capable gps units.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>