On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:09:57PM +0000, David L. Mills wrote:
> It is not an issue of limiting the slew rate to less than
> 500 PPM, as that is in fact the result shown in the looopstats
> trace.

No, it really is about the 500ppm limit. In loopstats is only the
measured clock frequency, it doesn't contain the phase
adjustments which are included in the adjtime() argument.

If you add a printf call to see what is passed to adjtime() and run
the test, you'll see values over 3 milliseconds. On Solaris, which
apparently slews at 63000 ppm, this doesn't make any problems as it
will always finish the adjustment in one second and there is no
leftover.

> It seems at least some kernels do not forget past programmed
> offsets when presented with new ones. For that reason if no other,
> the mission to measure the intrinsic clock offset with large initial
> offsets is dead in the water.

Which kernels? I'm pretty sure it's not the case with Linux.

--
Miroslav Lichvar