unruh wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>> unruh wrote:

> I do have a GPS PPS receiver. But that is not the question.
>  The question is why ntpd would demand a default of 10 pool
>   servers.

It doesn't specifically.
 It is up to maxclock of whatever sources that are designed
  to spin up more.  IIRC manycast did this before pool was
  modified to work more like manycast in that regard.

On some of my NTP servers, I intentionally don't use
 the pool command, rather I use a server *.pool.ntp.org
 line, so that the server can pull manycasts up to maxclock,
 without pulling more pool servers than the number in
 server .conf lines.

> The only reason I could think of is that the developers
>  of ntpd do not trust the pool, and feel that they need
>  that many to get a reasonable expectation of accurate
>  time from the pool.

I guess you didn't think of everything. (Shrug)

FYI, The pool command can also be used with sources other
      than pool.ntp.org   e.g.

pool clock.fmt.he.net iburst preempt            # Hurricane Electric Fremont,
CA Pool he.net/adm/ntp.html
pool clock.develooper.com iburst preempt        # develooper Pool
support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/ClockDevelooperCom (you were already using
them)
pool time.bldrdoc.gov iburst preempt minpoll 10 # NIST Pool
nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm

--
E-Mail Sent to this address <blackl...@anitech-systems.com>
  will be added to the BlackLists.