Once upon a time, Harlan Stenn  <st...@ntp.org> said:
>Again, from what I have seen, BCP (Best Current Practice) is to start
>ntpd as early as possible in the boot sequence, and then as late as
>possible in the boot sequence run something like ntp-wait before
>starting time-sensitive startup-processes and opening the system to
>general use.

I use ntpdate in system install scripts (such as RHEL/Fedora kickstart
configs) to make sure a new system's clock is set correctly (or at least
close to correctly).  There's no drift file or config, and waiting for a
daemon to step the clock is not desired in an install script.

--
Chris Adams <cmad...@hiwaay.net>