Marco wrote:
> > ntpq -c"rv 0 offset"
>
> That's not ntpd, and it requires an ntpd running on the node. ntpdate -q
> doesn't require you to have ntpd running on the node.
>
> Plus, doesn't that give you the latest calculated offset from the
> current sys.peer, which could be different from the _current_ offset?
>
> If I have a machine and I want to know the offset it has _now_,
> independently of the fact it has an ntpd running, how do I do that
> without ntpdate?

Just to get the answer on this (sub) thread as well, the default
invocation of sntp does this.

Please see http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdate for
the complete list of how to get the functionality of "old" ntpdate from
the "new" tools.

If something is missing, please add it to the section titled "Currently
Missing Features" or email me and I'll add it.