In article <jgg8pb$diq$1...@dont-email.me>, david-
tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid says...

> > The generic BSD kernel does not enable PPS support by default.  You must
> > recompile to enable PPS.
> >

> > The page you quoted says the following in the section "System software
> > customization" (about 45% down the page in the Software section):
> >
> > System software customisation
> >
> > Need to add one line to the Kernel configuration:
> >
> >     options PPS_SYNC
> >
> > and recompile the Kernel.  On my 133MHz/48MB system this can take
> > several hours.  Note the configuration suggestions below before you
> > recompile the kernel.
>
> But that was FreeBSD 5.4 and some six years ago.  Note that I did not make
> the same remark about FreeBSD 8 - so whether that does or does not need
> recompiling is something I don't currently know.
>
> Cheers,
> David

I did FreeBSD 8.1 with that and it was ok, and I've done FreeBSD 9.0
recently.

Main advantage for me is kernel discipline narrows down in a few
minutes, instead of a few hours. Can get a 5-10 uS spike with
aircon/heater, but otherwise it'll drift around 0-2 uS.

Advice for those going for microsecond accuracy: Find the 14.318
crystal, and see if you can cover it in polystyrene. Takes the drift
from 10 to 2 us because air can no longer reach it, only the PCB temp,
and that has more thermal mass/slower time constant.

Rhys.