On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Charles Swiger <cswi...@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi--
>
> On Jan 8, 2013, at 2:16 AM, David Taylor
> <david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> Thanks, Harlan.  I see that a function SQRT() is used, and that this
>> function is defined as sqrt() in ntp.h:
>>
>>  #define SQRT(x) (sqrt(x))
>>
>> I recall seeing /something/ about hardware and software floating point
>> support in the Raspberry Pi, that some hardware/firmware/software had it and
>> some not.
>
> AFAIK, all of the Raspberry Pis are using an ARM1176JZF-S CPU.  The J means
> Jazelle (aka ThumbEE); dunno about the Z; the F means H/W floating point (aka
> VFP); S means the TrustZone Security Extensions:
>
> http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.ddi0301h/index.html
>
>> I wonder whether that might be the cause?  I can't imagine sqrt() being
>> broken, but maybe for very small numbers it's wrongly returning zero?
>> Single precision versus double precision?  As you know, I'm well out of my
>> depth on this, but could there be a configuration flag to use software FP
>> rather than hardware?  I wonder how best to go about solving this problem?
>
> Well, there are software floating point and H/W testing software available
> which one might use to check:
>
> http://www.jhauser.us/arithmetic/TestFloat.html
> http://www.netlib.org/fp/ (see UCBTEST)

i've spent the last two days trying to get the UCBTEST to compile on
the RPi with no luck.  there are some defines the ieee.c file wants
that I just don't grok.  As far as TestFloat it requires SoftFloat
which has fallen off the interwebs.  If you have another test you
would like me to try let me know.