Rob <nom...@example.com> wrote:
> to use 80-character lines.  That was just lazyness and adherance to
> capabilities of hardware available at the time.

No, it was not. It enables formatting text in a sensible way,
which is not that easily possible with reflowing text.

About 70 characters is also about the most readable line length,
be it on screen or in a book.

> When graphical screens became mainstream, and scalable windows and

No, it was not. Just grab any novel from your bookshelf, lines
will be about 70 or 80 characters long, most likely.

> Only, the existing users failed to realize this because they often stuck
> to existing hardware or emulated existing hardware on new environments.
> (including running a 80x25 terminal emulator on Windows)

The relevant "hardware" is the ability of the human visual system
to follow a line without losing the line.

> In fact, it has happened again later.  Now, people want to read their
> mail on small phone screens, and again they prefer wrapped paragraphs
> over fixed line lengths.   For the majority of the users there is no
> problem because they already switched to that system before, but those
> who want 80-character lines again have a problem.

I like to have the same layout on my phone as on the desktop screen.
That way I find things easier (adaptive layouts make web pages sometimes
look completely different on the phone, making it necessary to "learn"
them again). I prefer to just zoom in and out with the normal desktop
layout.

/ralph