I am trying to cross-compile NTP for the Raspberry Pi, and I am following the instructions for NTP here:

  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/Cross-compilingNTP

and the successful cross-compile I did for the RPi kernel here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/kernel-cross-compile.html

Just following the "NTP" instructions, although I did end up with executables, they did not run on the RPi (giving an error something like "binary format error"), and their size is very similar to the executables for the Intel Debian system on which I was cross compiling. So it seems to me that I have not cross-compiled but natively compiled.

With the RPi kernel compile, I needed to create a couple of environment variables:

  CCPREFIX
  PLATFORM

and run a make/compile command like:

  make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX}

whereas the NTP instructions suggest using just a "make" command. I also see differences in the make/install command between the two sets on instructions:

NTP:
  make DESTDIR=`pwd`/:Built install

RPi:
  MODULES_TEMP=~/modules
  export MODULES_TEMP
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX} INSTALL_MOD_PATH=${MODULES_TEMP} modules_install

Now this could be due to the RPi command being for a Kernel compile, and the NTP one being for a set of executables. Perhaps there is no problem here.

I am working right at the limit of my knowledge here, so any help in using the right compiler would be most welcome!
--
Thanks,
David