On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 03:46:15PM +0200, Jochen Bern wrote:
> While I may have started from the same setting, I *did* try to put
> myself into the shoes of astronomers and people operating satellite
> systems (which, ironically, includes the popular stratum 0 of GPS).

Do these people work just with UTC? I'd think it's not accurate enough
for their purposes and they need to include the current UTC-UT1
offset anyway.

> Personally, I'd say that if a computer's clock's best suited to run on
> TAI (or equivalent) and all data needs to be converted from it to $TZ
> for the users, anyway, then having it run on TAI and disseminating and
> handling a TAI-UTC delta along with the sync and timezone deltas seems
> like the proper approach. But that wish doesn't change gettimeofday()
> implementations all over the globe with a snap of my fingers, does it.

Agreed, but wouldn't switching to TAI everywhere be much more
difficult than stopping messing with UTC and keep it a fixed offset
from TAI?

--
Miroslav Lichvar