On 2015-02-06 13:17, walter.preunin...@gmail.com wrote:
Ok, so these questions might be off the wall.

Is there any reason why I could not share the PPS output of say, my u-blox 7
GPS module on multiple computers?

No reason not to as long as the splitter added no delay/phase error/offset.
Is it a timing module supporting position survey, hold, and sawtooth error
output?

Would it be good or bad to peer these 2 systems with each other?

Not recommended as the time sources are not independent, but not bad for time
sync, as long as
each server also uses four or more other different accurate, reliable,
independent sources.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, would it be reasonable to have a PPS
output from said module on a computer,
with a second PPS (from another GPS module) on that same computer?

Multiple accurate, independent sources of PPS and time are good and handled
appropriately.

The Chronodot/DS323X chips have 1 Hz sqaure wave output and they have +/- 2ppm.
It seems that the ATOM clock driver could be used, but would it be better to
write a driver specifically for this chip?

Those chips are clock sources with a bit better than wristwatch quality time
source, tempco of .1ppm/C,
and.
It requires an I2C or SPI interface to set and read it - how accurately can you
set it to UTC,
and what will you use to keep it synced?
It says it handles leap years up to 2100 - but how does it or do you handle
leap seconds?

And a side question: Is it the GPS module that calculates when the PPS goes
active?
Is this signal compensated for the time it takes the signal from the sats in
the module, or on the SV?

You need a good view of at least four satellites to solve for x, y, z, and t of
the antenna position.
You can add fudge times to compensate for LNA processing, antenna cable delay,
GPS solution, and system
overhead if you have some way to calculate or calibrate the delay.

Does someone know the admin of tick.uh.edu? I am not getting a response from
them or the server.
See ToE for http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/PublicTimeServer000313
or message to this list/group:
From: Evandro Menezes <aevan...@gmail.com>
or look for public civilian contacts at USNO or UH.
--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis