William Unruh writes:
> On 2015-02-10, Terje Mathisen <terje.mathi...@tmsw.no> wrote:
> > William Unruh wrote:
> >> No. It only does that for "offsets from Hades". The Ones from Hell, ntpd
> >> abandons all hope and quits. ( Hades is 128ms to 1000 sec, Hell is
> >>       >1000 sec)
> >> Ie, for <128ms, ntp will try to slew the clock ( at a max of 500PPM- as
> >> far as I can see a completely arbitrary limit Mills decided on decades
> >
> > The 500 ppm limit is not at all arbitrary!
> >
> > In fact, it was originally just 100 ppm, but when too many systems
> > turned up with a system clock which was a bit too far out, Prof Mills
> > redid the control loop to allow a 500 ppm range.
> >
> > It could have been a lot more, but the ultimate stability of the control
> > loop is supposed to be better this way.
> >
> > My own control theory math was back around 1980, so I have forgotten
> > most of it. :-(
> >

> As you state, it is arbitrary.

Is not! Is so! ...

> If it can be changed from 100 to 500
> after complaints, it indicates that the number was not picked to
> optimise anything.

I'm not sure that logically follows...

> And as far as I can see, 500 or 5000 makes little
> difference to the control loop. Yes, it is harder for other systems to
> follow one with a large drift, but it is even harder to follow one that
> jumps, which is what we get now.

So what's the difference between following a jump and following a
system that applies changes faster than the 500ppm that NTP is designed
for?

And given that reality bites, what are the tradeoffs between re-synching
after a step and slowly dealing with a know offset error?

We're talking about choices, and the different effects of these choices.

It's one thing if a system rarely steps.  It's a bit different if those
steps happen more frequently.