On Feb 12, 2015, at 12:49 AM, William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2015-02-11, Charles Swiger <cswi...@mac.com <mailto:cswi...@mac.com>>
> wrote:
>> On Feb 11, 2015, at 7:23 AM, Rob <nom...@example.com
>> <mailto:nom...@example.com>> wrote:
>>> But I see it has also been explained elsewhere in the thread: ntpd has
>>> a maximum on the momentary drift of 500ppm, no matter if it is static
>>> or dynamic or the sum of two.  I think that is not warranted.
>>
>> Do you believe that a clock which loses or gains over a minute per day
>> should be assumed to be trustworthy?
[ ... ]
> A few kernels ago, Linux kernel had problems in calibrating the system
> clock. It would be off by up to a few 100 PPM, and change from one boot
> to the next. Ie, this was a consistant drift error.

Yes-- I had that specific kernel bug in mind.

> It could be zeroed out using adjtimex, but ntpd is supposed to handle the
> clock,
> not demand people fixing things by hand. chrony had no problem.

chrony has a problem if it trusts an obviously broken clock!

> It uses both the
> frequency and the tick rate adjustments of admtimex. ntpd could have a
> problem if the linux clock was off by say 400PPM in which case it would
> leave little headroom for normal operation.

For what it's worth, real physical hardware on a non-broken OS seems to
do fine with only +/- 100 ppm tolerance almost all of the time.  I've
looked for counterexamples in a large fleet, but the only things I saw
with an ntp.drift value beyond 100ppm were VMs.

> Of course the "right" procedure would be to fix the kernel, and that was
> eventually done, but that eventually was on the order of a year or two.

That's exactly right.  From that situation, I drew the conclusion that
precise timekeeping wasn't a priority for the Linux project.

> Were all Linux people to give up disciplining their clocks while waiting
> for the kernel people to get their act together? That hardly seems
> sensible advice.

I recall advising anyone who cared about precise timekeeping to run
FreeBSD, NetBSD, or even maybe OpenSolaris instead of Linux.

And yes, I fully understand that some folks have a homogenous environment
and lack the flexibility to select the best platform for a particular purpose.
Been there, had thousands of java processes on Linux VMs get wonky with
the June 2012 leap second due to adjtimex() kernel hang.

Regards,
--
-Chuck