William Unruh writes:
> > Chrony and ntpd have fundamentally different definitions of what it
> > means to "provide good time".
>
> Not really. But it should be distrubing that chrony disciplines clocks
> much better ( lower jitter) than does ntpd in normal situations. Why?
> And does that have lessons that ntpd could learn from?

I don't think there is any new information here.  You think NTP is
throwing away good data.  I don't agree with you.  Lots of other folks
don't agree with you.

The algorithms are in place for very good reasons.

Is there room for improvement?  Certainly.  And for that to happen there
would have to be constructive dialog.

I don't know if Ntimed's overall plan allows for the easy testing of
different algorithms.  If it doesn't, I'm game to see a rewrite of NTP
that *does* allow this, and right now it's looking like it will take a
bit of serious effort to either figure out how to get the current NTP
simulator code working again, or a different level of effort to come up
with new code that does this.