> On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 10:24 AM Lubashev, Igor wrote:
>
> Matrin, the measurements described are not only feasible, but they are also
> feasible without an introduction of any new versions of QUIC.  It just takes a
> regular Transport Parameter negotiation in QUIC v1.
>
> See
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ferrieuxhamchaoui-quic-lossbits-03
>
> - Igor

To expand on this, we mentioned example ways one could implement the
measurement (including the reserved header bits in QUIC and UDP Surplus space;
we could have also included my favorite "2 most significant bits of IP TTL" but
did not) specifically to alleviate concerns that this is nice in theory but not
feasible in practice.

We also added discussion of Ossification Considerations and Security
Considerations specifically to alleviate the concerns that this is inherently
dangerous to the protocols or to user Privacy.  This has been prompted by
feedback we received from IETF community.

As Giuseppe said, resolving protocol-specific implementation detail or
anti-ossification techniques is not the goal of this draft.  This draft
introduces a set of techniques and algorithms.  Adapting them (or, more likely,
just one or two of them) to specific protocols would be a matter of different
drafts.  This draft is QUIC-inspired, but it is not QUIC-focused.

If IETF community believes that the draft would be better without any reference
to potential implementation points, to avoid confusion, I can be happy to make
the changes (I think my co-authors would not object either).

- Igor