Agreed, although I see a lot of this work as input to future versions of a
protocol (QUIC or otherwise) that could allocate bits like QUICv1 did for the
spin bit. The IPPM document essentially is a zoo of the various ways bits could
be used for spin-bit style uses, such that future protocols and protocol
versions could decide to implement one. In the meantime, I agree that the
application to QUICv1 is more for experimental demonstrations than something
you could have arbitrary middle boxes assume support for by default.

Tommy