From: Kevin Matthews <kevin-matth...@uiowa.edu>
Subject: Re: [R] Random Relabelling
To: "John Kane" <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca>
Cc: r-help@r-project.org

I have a map of Iowa of with 4000 locations.  At each location, I have a cancer
mortality rate.  I need to test my null hypothesis; that the spatial
distribution of the mortality rates is  random.  For this test, I need to
establish a spatial reference distribution.

My reference distribution will be created by some random relabelling algorithm.
 The 4000 locations would remain fixed, but the observed mortality rates would
be randomly redistributed.  Then, I want 1000 permutations of the same
algorithm.  For each of those 1000 times, I would record the redistributed
mortality rate at each location.  Then,  I would calculate the mean of the 1000
points.  The result would be a spatial reference distribution with a mean value
of the random permutations at each of the 4000 locations.

Thanks for the response,Kevin