On 6/2/2008 11:12 AM, zhijie zhang wrote:
Dear Rusers,
  My manuscript has been conditionally accepted recently. The problem to
generate the high  resolution figures in R for the manuscript cannot be
solved by me.
The journal editor ask me to generate the figures with a minimum resolution
of 500 dpi. I have tried the *menu-driven method* to save the figures as
JPEG (100% printed quality), but the results seem not to be very good. I
have submitted the generated figures twice using the above-mentioned method,
but the Editor think the resolution is still very low.
  Finally, i used the Photoshop to check the figure. It seems that its
resolution for JPEG (100% printed quality) is about 72dpi.
  *Does anybody know a better method to save a figure with user-defined
resolution in R software, especially high resolution? Could u please show me
an example if possible?*
 I hope to save the figures as TIFF/JPEG format at 1000 dpi.
 Thanks a lot.

Don't use the menu, produce the figure directly. I would recommend against using TIFF or JPEG; a vector format like PDF is much easier. However, if you really want one of those, open the device explicitly. For example,

jpeg("test.jpg", width=5, height=5, units="in", res=500)
plot(rnorm(1000))
dev.off()

This will create a very big file, 2500 by 2500 pixels, meant to be displayed as a 5 inch by 5 inch figure.

Duncan Murdoch