On Thu, 25 Dec 2014, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

On 25/12/2014 1:57 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

I do think I get what is going on with this, but why should I buy into this conceptualization? Why is it better to say that a matrix *is* a vector than to say that a matrix *contains* a vector? The latter seems to be the more common way of thinking but such things.

"More common"? The better way to think of this is as a class hierarchy. A matrix is a particular kind of vector (the kind that has a dimension attribute). A matrix has all the properties that a vector has, plus some more.

Would you say a cube contains a polygon, or a cube is a polygon?

I would say that the sides of the cube are polygons, so I guess a cube "contains" six polygons, but "is" would be wrong because a cube is a polyhedron, not a polygon. A cube is not a polygon.

I get your point about hierarchy.

Someone else showed me that setting the dim attribute to NULL changes the matrix into a vector so that is.vector() is TRUE.

Mike